Safety measures and procedures to be followed in the case of a serious industrial failure on the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów
The Chemical Production Plant, owned by Grupa Azoty Kopalnie i Zakłady Chemiczne Siarki Siarkopol Spółka Akcyjna, is located in Dobrów, in the Tuczępy commune, Busko-Zdrój county, province of Kielce. The Plant produces carbon disulfide, insoluble sulfur, milled sulfur, flaked sulfur and sodium sulfide. Its premises are also used by PRO CHEMIKA Spółka z o.o. of Kraków, for condensation of hydrogen sulphide by the H2S Condensation Department in Dobrów
Chemical substances classified as hazardous and present on the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów include:
- Carbon disulfide
- Hydrogen sulfide
- Sodium hydroxide
- Hydrochloric acid
- Sodium sulfide
Properties of these substances:
- Carbon disulfide − highly flammable, causes eye and skin irritation and is toxic if inhaled
- Hydrogen sulfide − extremely flammable, strongly toxic if inhaled, and characterised by aquatic toxicity
- Methane − extremely flammable
- Sodium hydroxide − causes serious burns
- Hydrochloric acid − causes burns and irritation of the respiratory tract
- Sodium sulfide − causes burns. Characterised by strong aquatic toxicity
Given the number of toxic substances classified as hazardous which are present on its premises, the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów qualifies as a plant with a considerable risk of serious industrial failure under the Environmental Protection Act.
As such, the Plant has prepared the following documents:
- Serious Industrial Failure Prevention Programme for the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów
- Chemical Production Plant Safety Report
- Internal Operational and Rescue Plan for the Chemical Production Plant of Dobrów
In accordance with the relevant requirements of the Environmental Protection Law, these documents are subject to the opinion of, and/or consultation with, and/or approval by the Kielce Province Commander in Chief of the National Fire Service, and the Provincial Inspectorate for Environmental Protection. Since the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów is located within the community of Tuczępy in Busko-Zdrój county, supervision of the Plant's legal compliance in this respect is the responsibility of the County Headquarters of National Fire Service in Busko-Zdrój.
The website of the Provincial Headquarters of the National Fire Service in Kielce at www.straz.kielce.pl contains lists, specifications and information on high-risk industrial plants in the Kielce province, including:
- Information on approved Safety Reports or any amendments to such reports
- Information on the inclusion in publicly available lists of data on the annually updated register of hazardous substances present on the premises of high-risk plants
- Procedures to be followed by local residents in the case of a serious industrial failure at the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów.
Types of threats that may occur within the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów:
- Toxic contamination,
Depending on how the threat spreads, the affected area may be limited to the premises of the Plant, or may include the adjacent area of Tuczępy (within a radius of a few kilometres of the Plant), or even extend to the neighbouring communes within a radius of a dozen or so kilometres from the Plant.
Notification by the Plant of a serious industrial failure on its premises in Dobrów will include:
In each case:
- announcement of an emergency situation on the Plant's premises using an alarm siren
- notification to the County Headquarters of the National Fire Service in Busko-Zdrój
- notification to the Provincial Inspectorate for Environmental Protection in Kielce
If there is a risk that the threat may spread:
- notification to the head of the Tuczępy commune
- notification to the heads of the Staszów and Busko-Zdrój counties
The recommended course of action for local residents in case of a threat occurring on the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów is to:
- close all windows and doors
- switch on a radio or TV set and tune in to a local station for news updates
- persons in the open space around the Plant should not approach the Plant, but should move away from it at a right angle to the direction of the wind
- persons in vehicles on roads in the Plant's vicinity should not obstruct access routes that the emergency services will be using, and should drive away from the Plant if possible
- if local emergency services sound an alarm or a general evacuation is announced, follow their instructions.
The above information has been:
- made available at the www.siarkopol.grupaazoty.com website,
- announced at the Company's registered office,
- delivered to the head of the Tuczępy commune for announcement to the general public,
- sent in writing to the relevant education, social welfare and healthcare system offices, as well as to other entities and institutions providing services to the community that may be affected by the consequences of a serious industrial failure at the premises of the Chemical Production Plant in Dobrów.